Sunday 17 July 2011

Flight Segment 3 : Airfast PK-OCC to Sangatta

The long process of baggage claim for my Citilink flight in Sepinggan Airport made me quite worry about my connecting flight to Sangatta. After I waited for about 20 minutes, baggages rolled around the baggage conveyor, and I managed to collect my luggage. I proceed straight to the Departure section of the airport, which in this case it did not take a very long time to reach the departure area of the airport, since it is mainly a regional airport.


 waiting area in the boarding gate at Sepinggan Airport

The check-in process was smooth, and this time airport tax must be paid in separate counter with the check-in counter. The airport tax for Sepinggan is Rp 40,000 which is equivalent to around SGD 5.50. Before entering boarding gate, we have to go through a security screening and proceed to the waiting area near the gate. I waited for around 30 minutes for the boarding call, in which I could spend my time reading the 'Angkasa' (Sky) magazine which makes time passed very fast.
 
Inside the bus that took us to the airplane.
Note the TV in the bus is playing the safety video

Shortly after the boarding call was made, passengers heading for Sangatta would be taken by a bus to the airplane that is parked in a remote stand. In the bus, there is a television playing the safety video of the airplane, which is a CASA 212 airplane.

The load factor of the aircraft was around 50 percent, which allows me to have the row for myself, as there is no other passenger seated beside me. During the 50 minutes flight to the town of Sangatta, definitely there's no meal service or inflight entertainment, but there are some spectacular views below that is worth for our camera shots, since these scenery is not common in cities such as Singapore or Jakarta.





Views of Balikpapan while climbing




Cabin shot of the 20-seater airplane


Due to the noise level created by the engines, passengers have to wear earplugs, including me. 




 Safety instructions of the aircraft 



Views of the Kalimantan rainforest while on approach to Tanjung Bara Airfield 





Tanjung Bara Airfield Building
 CASA 212 after landing in Tanjung Bara Airfield

At around 11.50am, the 20-seater CASA 212 airplane touched down in Tanjung Bara Airfield runway. After the plane had stopped completely in the parking stand in front of the small terminal building, passengers were exiting the aircraft from the rear door. By then, my mother and brother was already in the airport to pick me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment